Author Topic: WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!  (Read 3643 times)

Lord_Faine

• Slide
  • Mail Me If You Know Magick
    • (Voodoo) My Friends Site
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
This TV show was amusing but it was a terrible stain on the quality of the book.
Lets list the issues shall we? Any severe changes?

1) No mud people
2) Several characters missing (Just a few below):
Characters MissedNicholas
Jagang
The Mud People
Jillian
Scarlet
Elizabeth
Brother Nariv
Luna/Tobias
Barricus/Alric
Nathan
Victor
3) The relationships were messed up
Rahl as his brother?Panis as his father? No Raina and Berdine?Really?
4) The plot was destroyed completely

My point is that it seems this was done poorly. Among the 17 people I got to read the series, two others quit reading the books and watched the show instead  >:(

"It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

Mistress Sarah

• Slide
  • Screw the Ocampa. I wanna go home.
Re: WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
Of the list of missing characters.. Only the following would have been introduced during the time period the show is set in.

Mud People
Scarlet
Nathan.

Of Berdine and Raina, you don't meet them until later as well.

If they had renewed for a third season, I have no doubt that we would have seen some of the rest.
You know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later.

The Great Wizard

• Hearthound
  • I talk in blue now.
    • War for Truth RPG
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
The only major thing that bugs me about the tv show is Kahlan's reaction to someone trying to making a girl love him with magic. Which as a confessor, I think she would get more angry because she understood the full effects of using magic to force love ( I'm sure I could word that better but I'm sleepy ), instead of gently chiding the person. Sure he was quite young but still.
Wir sind alles Verrückt!

Lord_Faine

• Slide
  • Mail Me If You Know Magick
    • (Voodoo) My Friends Site
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
The Con dar seemed weak too, I mean Zedd just threw it aside.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

Mistress Sarah

• Slide
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
Kahlan rarely shows her anger to a single person. I think that her reaction was perfectly suited to her.

As for the Con Dar.. That was a terrible mistake on the show's part. There is supposed to be no defense against a confessor's touch unless you are unquestionably in love with them, or have put the boxes of Orden in play.
You know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later.

Warrior Erilyn

• Night Wisp
  • The answer you want is within yourself
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
I just became hooked to this series. Currently on the 3rd book. I heard that there was a show and tried to watch it on YouTube. Got through the 1st episode and had to turn it off. TERRIBLE!!! I mean, Zedd and Richard not knowing each other that well!?!? Come on. I also did not like the cast they chose for it. To me, I see Richard as a broad shouldered mans man. The Richard on the show looked like a kid. I can see why it only lasted 2 seasons. When you TOTALLY take the characters I all love so much and totally change the story, it makes me not interested.

Mistress Mal

• Gar
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
The show is what brought me to the books. I'm a fan of both. Mostly because... Unlike the "Books are awesome! Show sucks!" crowd, I can separate the two and accept that just because the show is based on the books, doesn't mean it's going to be an exact copy. For one thing, a lot of the stuff from the books couldn't possibly be shown on regular TV. For another, the pacing of the books is all wrong for a TV show. Hence the need for filler arcs and story changes.

Now, they could make some seriously epic movies for the books if they wanted to.. They'd need to make them at least 3 hours though... and none of that "Part 1, part 2" bullshit. make it all at once, and toss in an intermission like they did for the theatrical release of Titanic if they think people need to pee in the middle of the adventure.

Hawkeye

• Night Wisp
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »
I've never understood why people get so frustrated with new franchises of favourite stories? This is not an accurate portrayal of the events that happen within the book series...no...nor did it ever claim to be?

It's a new and different story featuring characters and elements you love. Enjoy it. Or don't. Either way please drop your notions that they are meant to be one in the same. I found this show very appealing and enjoyed the love it brought to new readers and to old fans alike.

Illyria

• Boundary Warden
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:38:48 AM »
I've never understood why people get so frustrated with new franchises of favourite stories? This is not an accurate portrayal of the events that happen within the book series...no...nor did it ever claim to be?

It's a new and different story featuring characters and elements you love. Enjoy it. Or don't. Either way please drop your notions that they are meant to be one in the same. I found this show very appealing and enjoyed the love it brought to new readers and to old fans alike.

I am only grateful for one thing. That TV show brought me to the books. I loved the show... until I read the books. Since then I cannot look at the show anymore.

You say it has to be different, okay I understand, I get that for a TV show there has to be plot for each episode as well as for the season.  But the way they change the core of it... it just killed it.

I didnt understand, why it was so bad, why they cancelled the show. After reading the books, I do understand and I am even grateful.

I mean, I could get past the fact, they made Darken Rahl his brother instead of the father and many other things. But get Richard rid of his power for good? The core of him being Wizard is the whole point. If they havent changed that, and followed the books just a little bit more, there might have been a chance. But make him only a Seeker (just because they foolishly chose the show named Legend of the Seeker, hence no point having wizard there)? That was a fatal blow to the show that killed it.

It's like prophecy without a Prophet.
“Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it.”

CypherCore

• Wood Guide
  • "Dance with me death, for I am ready."
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »
I'm a fan of both the tv series AND the book (Im just finishing Temple of the Winds) and yes they are very different.
I consider the tv show as a sort of alternate universe to the story of the books. But don't get me wrong if I had to choose which one I liked more its the books. Never doubt that.
But still the tv series was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it and I'm very sad to see it cancelled after such a wonderful journey (and a bit of a cliffhanger).
I can understand why some old or new fans to the books might be displeased with the tv show and please remember that this is just my opinion. If you don't like the show that's fine but don't be hateful about it :)
Even Terry Goodkind himself is showing his support to bring back Legend of the Seeker for a third season!!

Illyria

• Boundary Warden
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
I am not hateful at all. I just cannot see it second time. I have tried few months ago, but the things that they were saying were... just wrong :D But when reading the books, I still imagine the actors in my mind.
I loved the actors.

Terry is supporting renewal of the Seeker, but at the same time, he has expressed, how producers cut him off, and stopped advising about scripts and such and he was very sad about it. He confirmed, that his characters were "butchered".

My only wish is to make either movies or new TV show, with HBO production. But since Disney has the rights for a very long time, and HBO wasnt interested in the first place, there is no hope  :'(

CypherCore

• Wood Guide
  • "Dance with me death, for I am ready."
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Movies? That would take too long. Making a series of 14 books into a movie franchise? Its an interesting idea but I believe the Sword of Truth series should stay how they are: as books.
And I imagine the actors when I read the books too :)! Except The Prelate. That's one thing I dint like about the series. They made Prelate Ann kind of antagonistic too Richard. But I respect your opinion on the tv show.

Illyria

• Boundary Warden
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
As I mentioned before, I was huge fan of the show. I even recommended it to my friend who read the books before TV show, and was hesitating. But then she said, if you like the show, you should read the books, so I did.  And I fell in love with the characters, with story.

Then I tried to watch the show again, and I havent managed to finish first episode. I re-read the books instead ;D

I wish I could watch the show again, and I kind of envy those who can respect both. I am very conservative in that way.

Mistress Sarah

• Slide
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
I suggest trying this simple trick. It worked for me for Star Trek Enterprise, the newish Dukes of Hazard movies, and even a bit of the new Knight Rider... Ignore the fact that they exist in what is supposed to be the same world. Ignore the similarities in the characters. Judge each on its own merits instead of the flaws that are really only there if you judge them based on what came before.

Illyria

• Boundary Warden
  • "Seize the Day"
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:16:36 AM »
That is a good advise :) but I am a bit skeptical. It didnt work last time. All the time I see something different from the book, my head spins and my mind screams- its is not like that, you got it wrong ;D

I am putting by biggest hopes in First Confessor, though chances are very low. It would be awesome to have First Confessor series...