Author Topic: A Small Step Backwards  (Read 2950 times)

ShiningArmor

• Boundary Warden
A Small Step Backwards
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
I thought this week's episode went down a little bit in quality of storytelling this week.  Bounty was by no means an Emmy winner but I thought the Zedd's character was dead on as opposed to this week's horrible characterization.  Magical Condoms?  ...Really?  Also, he started spouting Yoda sayings again.

I thought Kahlan was off again this week too.  I don't like the way they are portraying Confessors.  They are supposed to be feared but respected not a joyful mediator.  A Confessor taking your confession means you are sentenced to death and she takes you with her power, she doesn't listen to your baby daddy woes.

The main positive thing I will say about the episode was that Zedd is Richard's grandfather in this world too.  It seems like they are trying to stick to the big stuff but they are just throwing in such random crap for the week to week items.  I want to know which writer thought a medieval paternity suit against a wizard would make for entertaining TV.

As always, the fight scenes were entertaining.  The bad guys were decently bad this week and I like that Richard rallies people to him like in the book. 

Sage86

• Global Moderator
  • Chime of Doom
  • Cogito Ergo Nom
Re: A Small Step Backwards
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
I thought this week's episode went down a little bit in quality of storytelling this week.  Bounty was by no means an Emmy winner but I thought the Zedd's character was dead on as opposed to this week's horrible characterization.  Magical Condoms?  ...Really?  Also, he started spouting Yoda sayings again.

Really? I thought this one did a BETTER job of portraying Zedd, or at least a certain part of him. In the books, he's just as much a womanizer as he was in this episode and I love that they brought it into the show.

I thought Kahlan was off again this week too.  I don't like the way they are portraying Confessors.  They are supposed to be feared but respected not a joyful mediator.  A Confessor taking your confession means you are sentenced to death and she takes you with her power, she doesn't listen to your baby daddy woes.

I was a little disappointed in having her deal with such trivial things too, but I like the way they had Kahlan deal with it. She was extremely serene, graceful, and compassionate. I never really liked the almost snarling and angry persona that she had as a Confessor in the books.

As always, the fight scenes were entertaining.  The bad guys were decently bad this week and I like that Richard rallies people to him like in the book. 

Now thats something I thought fully improved in this episode as opposed to the last three. The fight scenes, the coreography that is, were MUCH better done. It didn't look like Richard was drowning in the way he swung the sword so wildly, and he didn't do any of those ridiculous jumps.  ::)

I thought it was a really good episode until the end, when we were bombarded with so many cheesy lines and scenes, and again over use of the slow motion. :-\
Yesterday is HISTORY,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift...
That's why they call it "the present".

- Kung Fu Panda

Huginn that I may dwell in wisdom. Muninn that I may never forget it

Seeker of Truth

• Warlock
  • "Deserve Victory."
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
I think it's all coming together.  I like that Zedd is more or less the funny one and smooth talkin'.  It seems like we're seeing that Kahlan is human, and I like that, it shows her dedication to the people of the Midlands, & in a sense, her longing to be a normal woman.  Richard is becoming the leader we know he is capable of being.
"I believe in fairytales.  I do believe I just saw my friend Richard slay a dragon."- Chase, "Legend Of The Seeker", episode 2 Destiny.
"I took precautions. Magical precautions."- Zedd, "Legend Of The Seeker," episode 4 Brennidon

Langis

• Night Wisp
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:56 AM »
You guys make me laugh when you are critiquing this show as if it had any level of parity on its quality with the story told in the books.  I cannot understand why Terry Goodkind who declined any offers to turn his books into movies because he supposedly thought that they could not capture the essence of the story.  Yet this show did much worse to his story than a movie would have ever done. 

Kahlan's character in the books is all about how she is feared and alone, how can a woman who is admired and loved to the point that people do not fear her to willingly submit to a ridicule line-up in the woods out of nowhere, to get her to adjudicate petty arguments amongst the populace.  They have lost the sense of urgency that the boxes of orden imposed on Richard and Kahlan, they have lost the reason why Kahlan was so attracted to Richard, they have lost the respectful character that Richard developed through his deep friendship with Zed and most of all they lost all that endearing and comical quality that Zed had.

I have never seen such crap.  I never watched Xena because it was crap to me, and I would say the same about this show.  Where is the captivating stroy that Terry wrote that made us hunger for his next book?

abaris

• Warlock
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »
I cannot understand why Terry Goodkind who declined any offers to turn his books into movies because he supposedly thought that they could not capture the essence of the story.  Yet this show did much worse to his story than a movie would have ever done. 

As far as I understand it, he signed and got kicked out by the team. The few persons actually knowing him on his official board are claiming, that noone wanted his input after the deal got signed.

Kahlan's character in the books is all about how she is feared and alone, how can a woman who is admired and loved to the point that people do not fear her to willingly submit to a ridicule line-up in the woods out of nowhere, to get her to adjudicate petty arguments amongst the populace. 

That's what I liked about her too. She was portrayed as a strong, respected, sometimes feared authority. Here she's a mediator at a village fair and according to a Bridget Regan interview the most nasty surprise is still to come in future episodes.

They have lost the sense of urgency that the boxes of orden imposed on Richard and Kahlan, they have lost the reason why Kahlan was so attracted to Richard, they have lost the respectful character that Richard developed through his deep friendship with Zed and most of all they lost all that endearing and comical quality that Zed had.

And along with that, they have made way for some aimless country roaming episodes without any deeper purpose. I also can't share the excitement about the D'Harans being more menacing. They are always drawn as some sort of pansy cardboard villains. I mean, which commander of a formidable and reckless force stands by while a captured woman next to him starts to incite the village? But that's what this one has done. They're cheap meat and I can't see, that anyone could find them menacing. And not to forget, a village under curfew lets in the Mother Confessor without any questions asked when, even according to that show, she's one of the most wanted persons in the D'Haran's books.

MaBanGrid

• Wood Guide
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »
Magical Condoms?  ...Really?  ... I don't like the way they are portraying Confessors.  They are supposed to be feared but respected not a joyful mediator.  A Confessor taking your confession means you are sentenced to death and she takes you with her power.

I want to know which writer thought a medieval paternity suit against a wizard would make for entertaining TV.

Most SciFi/Fantasy, as well as most historical fiction on TV, tend to deal with current issues thru the plots.  Hence, wizard paternity and kindly counselor type Confessors.  The fact that these are not found in the books again points to the fact that the writers are ignoring the books as they make a shallow and episodic action/adventure show which uses current sensitivities to build the plots.

So far the Confessor has only used her power to defend herself by taking a D'Haran who then turns to protect her without her command. Apparently that's all her power is good for.  It's striking that in the book [don't ask me which  :P ] she complains that she actually doesn't know much about questioning people, since she usually just takes them with her Power and they babble on about whatever topic she names.  It is the Seeker of Truth [notably in the TV series he is only 'the Seeker,' apparently seeking justice rather than truth] who is much better at questioning people, including Zed himself.  Richard of the TV seems to know only how to stand and scream against injustice and then use his sword to get out of the messes his yelling gets him into -- again, taken from current sentiments rather than the books.